Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lucky Guess or Boy Genuis?

I have a lot to blog about and I know my mom is wondering where the pictures from Ivan's visit are but I have had a crazy, busy, long, stressful, fun and sad week, all ending with a head cold. So those pictures will come. But I wanted to blog a few stories about the kids before a forget them. I hope the Grandma's will appreciate hearing them.

Yesterday in loo of Family Home Evening we decided to watch "Jonah- A VeggieTales Movie". My kids love VeggieTales and so do Rich and I. Well, I was talking to Rich (and other ears that may be eavesdropping) saying something like, "the kids who eat their dinner and don't misbehave will get popcorn and C-A-N-D-Y." Dexter got very excited and said, "What, do we get candy?!?!" It isn't like I spell candy out load a lot, or ever actually. Rich and I couldn't believe it. I suppose it must be a lucky guess since he still doesn't recite the alphabet as well as Lucy can. But, for now, I will smile and think of my boy genius. His name is Dexter, after all.


Also, last week we went to Costa Vida for dinner and in walked the missionaries for dinner as well. Of course, these were not the missionaries that go to our ward just random missionaries. Anyway, Dexter's favorite prayer at night it, "Dear Heavenly Father, please bless the missionaries. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen." So I told him that those missionaries were some of missionaries he prays for at night. It was like I could see the light bulb turn on over his head. It was so cute to see. He is also really into to being proud or having someone be proud of him (I think it stemmed from potty training). So after after dinner Dexter and Lucy ran up to their table and said something along the lines of, "Thank you for being missionaries. I am so proud of you." The missionaries looked kind of stunned but I was sure proud. To go along with that, Lucy does not like to pray. Her favorite prayer is, "Heavenly Father, AMEN!" Her arms raised above her head at AMEN. I guess she doesn't have the patience for it. But that night as I put her in bed she said her first real prayer. "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for Hazel, thank you for mommy and dada. Thank you for missionaries. Amen" A day to be proud of my children. And we certainly are grateful for missionaries. Because of SEVERAL sets of loving, kind, and very patient missionaries we are now a Forever Family. My husband was baptised Dec. '05 and we were sealed in the temple for time and all eternity March '07. We are grateful to Elders Holliday, Rambo, Stimpston, Briggs, Morris and many, many others. For that reason, my family will always pray for and be proud of the missionaries. Thank you for your service.

The sad ending to my week was that I was released as the secretary in the Relief Society. I enjoyed my calling very much and appreciate how I was able to get to know the women so well in such a short time. I am very sad to be leaving this calling because I have made some great friends. (post publish edit- forget I mentioned anything past this sentence. I was supposed to have the calling today but I was not called so maybe mum should be the word until I actually called over the pulpit.)

P.S. Mom- I will post the pictures as soon as I get some rest. Sorry!

2 comments:

nana said...

It is so much fun to see you and your kids. I was reading Erica's blog and saw your comments and decided I needed to check out your blog. What a wonderful family. I'm so glad you and Erica are back in touch. I noticed you have a link to Totally Ready, thanks! I'll keep checking in now that I know where to find you.
Carolyn

me said...

How cute! I love kids! Im sure he is a boy genious...how could he be anything else?? :)

Thats crazy that you were released from your calling! That wouldve been my last guess. I think its great that youve been called to YW though. That is a calling ive always wanted to do but NEVER have. Im usually with primary kids...not that I would change that!! Id take kids over women ANY day!! hehe...is that bad to say that?